Custom Gards and special orders
- The Acoustic Guitar (by appt. only, Calgary, AB)
- Big Joe's Guitarworks (307 Space Park, North Goodlettsville, TN)
- Buffalo Brothers (4901 El Camino Real, Carlsbad, CA)
- Capo's Music Store (903 East Main St., Abingdon, VA )
- Cartwright's Music & Repair (429 N 3rd Ave Stayton, OR) 503-769-2778
- Crazy Mule Music (107 S Old Wire Rd., Washburn, MO)
- Dusty Strings Music Shop (3406 Fremont Ave. N., Seattle, WA)
- Elderly Instruments (1100 N. Washington, Lansing, MI)
- First Quality Music Supplies ( 7006 Trade Port Drive, Louisville, KY)
- Gene Rubin Audio (by appt. only, Ventura, CA)
- Greg Boyd Music (311 Knowles St., Missoula, MT)
- High Strung Music (1913 E. Seminole, Springfield, MO)
- Homestead Pickin’ Parlor (6625 Penn Ave So., Richfield, MN)
- House of Musical Traditions (7010 Westmoreland Ave., Takoma Park, MD)
- Janet Davis Music (13026 Highway 71 N., Bentonville, AR)
- Larsen Music (1833 Cook St., Victoria, BC)
- Mandolin Brothers Ltd. (629 Forest Ave., Staten Island, NY)
- The Mandolin Store (12213 West Bell Road #117, Surprise, AZ)
- Morgan Music (585 N. Jefferson Ave., Lebanon, MO)
- The Music Emporium (165 Massachusetts Ave., Lexington, MA)
- Myhre’s Music (8735 118th Ave. NW, Edmonton, AB)
- OldTime Music (4434 30th St., San Diego, CA)
- Pick ‘n’ Grin (106 Gore Road, Knoxville, TN)
- The Stringman (70 Millridge Ct., London, ON)
- Sylvan Music (1521 Mission St., Santa Cruz, CA)
- Tall Toad Music (43 Petaluma Blvd. N. Petaluma, CA)
LINKS to a few of my favorites
- Michael Lewis (Grass Valley, CA) Want a beautiful mandolin, guitar or archtop guitar? Go see this guy, in Grass Valley. Without a doubt, he makes some of the finest instruments and inlay work around. Michael encouraged me to produce the Gard for others, and was the only seller of them for years. He even came up with the name “Tone-Gard.” What a guy!
- Mandolin Cafe (online) is the central link in the mando world, for me anyway, always changing and inspiring. My favorite spot for tab! You’ll find discussion of the Tone-Gard there too.
- Freight & Salvage Coffeehouse (Berkeley, CA) is a music venue operated by the Berkeley Society for the Preservation of Traditional Music, a nonprofit arts organization dedicated to promoting public awareness and understanding of traditional music. Too bad I live several hours’ drive away.
- Players Vintage Instruments (Inverness, CA) sells new and used instruments. This guy’s got everything, and good prices besides.
- Rigel Mandolins (Cambridge, VT) Looking for something different? Don’t want to be part of the herd? These guys have come up with a mandolin that is truly original looking, but without sacrificing tone and volume. I make a special Gard to fit these instruments.